Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Peanut Butter & Jelly Oatmeal


Ah, peanut butter and jelly. Don't we all just crave a good old PB &J sandwich sometimes?

But have you ever tried it in your oatmeal? I have...and let me tell you, it's my new favorite way to eat breakfast. You won't believe how filling and DELICIOUS it is.


It's especially good with homemade jam and fresh berries. I am so glad to have found a way to use some of my devastating jam disaster. Since my 'disaster' jam was so sweet, I used a less than I would if it were a low sugar version.


I just found out that tomorrow, April 2, is National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day, so it's the perfect time to try a warm and happy bowl of Peanut Butter and Jelly Oatmeal, assuming you have no nut allergies. You won't regret it!

A recipe is really not required, but in case you like specifics:

To make one serving:

1/2 c. rolled oats
1 c. water

Put in glass bowl and microwave for 2.5 to 3 minutes.  If your oatmeal tends to boil over like mine does, put a little salt in before cooking, and stop to stir each minute. If you have given up your microwave, which I am still considering after writing this post, by all means, cook the oatmeal in a pot on the stove. :)

Top with

1 T. peanut butter (or more!)
1 T. jam
and swirl in the bowl to make it pretty.

Throw a small handful of fresh berries on top if you have them, and you have the best bowl of oatmeal EVER.

I'm somewhat addicted to this scrumptious, filling, and just-sweet-enough breakfast!

6 comments:

  1. I love PB&J, but bread is not my friend. In honor of this glorious, celebratory PB&J Day, I will have a bowl. Well, a small one since it's Lent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just thinking that those who don't agree with gluten would love having their PB&J this way! I hope you enjoy. :)

      Delete
  2. I love this idea!
    I had a tragic experience with peanut butter (on toast) one morning when I was really little... so, even now, I can't eat peanut butter before ten in the morning. However for normal, unscarred people this would be great!
    AND you inspired me to put jam on my oatmeal just this morning. I don't know why I've never thought of it before... it was delicious!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my...tragic peanut butter experiences are never good! Did you choke on it? I find peanut butter toast difficult to eat in the morning because it's dry and my mouth is not awake. :( But yes, just the jam on oatmeal is good, too, isn't it? You really have to throw some berries on top if you get ahold of some. I've done it both ways and the berries add something HUGE.

      Delete
    2. I will next time I have berries! :)
      But my Tragic Peanut Butter Incident was just that my grandmother fed me peanut butter on toast just a little while before I got the flu! It was the last thing I remember eating... it was *years* before I could eat peanut butter at all!

      Delete
    3. Oh, Christine, I totally get that. A similar thing happened to me with hot dogs when I was little. Not pretty. Though, I never really regained a taste for them, and that might be a very good thing. ;)

      Delete