Thursday, April 3, 2014

Creamy Crockpot Chicken and Tomato Soup



I've been playing around with tomato soup recipes ever since I started growing my own tomatoes. I tried this one last week and it blew my socks off. The flavor is so incredible.
The chicken makes it really hearty, but I think I will also try making it without chicken, subbing veggie stock, because I like to have vegetarian recipes on hand.

Try ladling the soup over rice, or over fresh spinach. This is an awesome meal that will warm your tummy and excite your tastebuds! I can't wait to make it again.


Creamy Crockpot Chicken and Tomato Soup

3 frozen skinless boneless chicken breasts or thighs
1 T. Italian Seasoning
1/2 T. dried basil
1 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
1 14 oz. can of coconut milk (I used low fat)
1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes and juice
1 c. chicken broth 
1/2 small can of tomato paste (save the other half for pizza sauce!)
2 c. of your favorite tomato sauce (I used pasta sauce I made this summer and froze)
Salt and pepper to taste

Put all the above ingredients into the crock-pot, cook for 9 hours on low. After 9 hours take two forks and shred the chicken, set the crock-pot on warm till ready to serve (making sure to taste it before serving to make sure there is enough salt and pepper).

*note: If you are not using FROZEN chicken, you can cut the cooking time way down, probably in half. Just make sure the chicken cooks through. :)

3 comments:

  1. I've always loved every form of tomato other than tomato soup. I'm thinking this recipe will make it more suited to my palate, plus a great way to incorporate chicken thighs and other less 'favored' parts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do hope you like it, Rebecca! It's got more of an Italian flavor than most tomato soups. I find it hard to stop eating, and I'm not even a HUGE tomato soup fan. :)

      Delete
  2. Ahhh. your food always looks yummy... i will try this in my heat retaining cooker thingy..

    ReplyDelete