Thursday, April 3, 2014

Creamy Crockpot Chicken Tomato Soup



I've been playing around with tomato soup recipes ever since I started growing my own tomatoes. I tried this one last week and it blew my socks off. The flavor is so incredible.

The chicken makes it really hearty, more of a stew. It is so good with rice. Creamy, savory with just a hint of sweet from the coconut milk. I think I will also try making it without chicken, subbing veggie stock, because I like to have vegetarian recipes on hand.

The recipe is written using store-bought tomatoes, but I like using my own! I sometimes make it using glut sauce (one of my favorite ways to preserve tomatoes) and the flavor is even more intense. If using glut sauce, I cut back a little on the other seasonings.

Try ladling the soup over rice (my fave), or over fresh spinach. This is an awesome meal that will warm your tummy and excite your tastebuds! There is never a single complaint from anyone around here when I make it.


Creamy Crockpot Chicken and Tomato Soup                    Print Recipe

3 skinless boneless chicken breasts or thighs
1 T. Italian Seasoning
1/2 T. dried basil
1 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
1 14 oz. can of coconut milk (I used low fat)
1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes and juice 
1 c. chicken broth 
1 small can of tomato paste
2 c. of your favorite tomato sauce (plain tomato sauce works just fine, or use glut sauce and cut back a little on the Italian seasoning and basil)

Salt and pepper to taste

Put all the above ingredients into the crock-pot, cook for 4-6 hours on low. Take two forks and shred the chicken, set the crock-pot on warm until ready to serve (making sure to taste it before serving to make sure there is enough salt and pepper).

*note: If you are using FROZEN chicken, add 3 hours to the cook time; make sure the chicken cooks all the way through.

5 comments:

  1. I've always loved every form of tomato other than tomato soup. I'm thinking this recipe will make it more suited to my palate, plus a great way to incorporate chicken thighs and other less 'favored' parts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do hope you like it, Rebecca! It's got more of an Italian flavor than most tomato soups. I find it hard to stop eating, and I'm not even a HUGE tomato soup fan. :)

      Delete
  2. Ahhh. your food always looks yummy... i will try this in my heat retaining cooker thingy..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw this comment, Nihal! I hope that you have been able to try this. It remains one of my favorite meals. I have been adding kale leaves, torn into small pieces and stirred into my bowl while it's piping hot. The kale cooks just enough and adds a nice hearty, healthy bite.

      Delete
  3. we provide the guaranteed value with manageable projects to our valued clients.

    ReplyDelete